Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 December 2010

For Chania

I know Chania over at Razmataz
has been making the No-Knead Bread 
I posted about at the beginning of October 
(because she told me so).




Well...my brilliant friend Mary has sent me a couple more
recipes, so I thought I would share them with Chania,
and anyone else who wants to give it a go.

The technique remains the same, and if you click on the link above (No-Knead Bread), it will take you to the post with the video.  Easy-peasy.

So here are the recipes for:

Walnut-Raisin-Cinnamon No-Knead Bread


3 cups bread flour
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1  1/4 teaspoon table salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1  1/2 cups cool water (55 to 65 degrees)
wheat bran, cornmeal or additional flour for dusting

Mix together the flour, raisins, walnuts, salt, cinnamon, yeast and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.  Add water.

Follow same process as for white bread.  Oven at 475F


Mary said:  "A couple of points:

- I had been using all purpose flour in Toronto.  I have been using bread flour here (in Florida) and I like the results better.  Give it a try if you haven't already.  It makes the bread less white.  Better texture too I think.

- I used sultana raisins for the bread, although it does not specify these in the recipe.  I like the golden colour when the bread is sliced

- I used grocery store pre-bagged walnuts because that is all I could find that day.  Given the choice, I would use something "fresher" if possible.  I sauteed the walnuts in a pan to release the flavour before chopping them.  I might try to add a greater quantity of the nuts next time if I can't find more flavourful walnuts.

-  I found the bread a bit "unsalty".  I do not salt my food much, so this was a surprise to me.  I am not suggesting adding more salt - just an observation

 I didn't take the temperature of the water - used common sense."

Jacqueline said:  "I stayed with the all-purpose flour, because I have a HUGE
sack of it.  When I get close to the end, I will give the bread flour a go.
I used raisins (because I had them in house), looked just fine to me.
I too toasted the walnuts, not an overpowering walnut flavour.  I think, like Mary, I need to find a tastier source of nut.
I found the salt flavour just fine.  But I use sea-salt (Mary said she used table salt).  That may have made the difference.
I didn't take the temperature of the water, just used cold (but not from the fridge)."

and
Whole Wheat 
No-Knead
 Bread


2 1/4 cups bread flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
1 1/3 cups cool water

Oven at 475.  Same method.

Mary really liked this one.  I haven't tried it yet.  Have to say, I'm not a huge fan of whole-wheat flavour.  I prefer rye...but I will try this, this week.

So, Chania, (and anyone else) if you make it...let me know your thoughts.
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers

My Ping in TotalPing.com